Monday, July 23, 2012

App Happy Link Up (Android Version)

Second Grade Shenanigans is hosting a wonderful and resource filled link up of all your favorite apps. So far all the apps are from Apple.  Who out there is still on the Android bandwagon like me? While I am a fan of all things iPhone, I feel victim to the Verizon fiasco and will not be upgrading anytime soon. Often you can find many apps that are on both interfaces, but often you have to look a little harder to discover some jewels on the Andriod Market. 
Second Grade Shenanigans 

I have a few favorites that I use in the classroom:


Class Dojo is a behavior management system that allows you to track positive and negative behaviors. You choose the labels for the behaviors.  Each child gets a cute avatar that you click on to document behaviors. 
 At the end of each day points are logged, you can choose to reset points at the end of each day, week, grading period etc.  Since it is an app you can track easily on the go vs. "pull a card" or "move a clip" when we get back to the classroom.  


Also, there is a feature where students can access their personal data.  Behavior reports can easily be printed or emailed, especially helpful for students with behavior contracts, or who visit multiple teachers each day.

I have heard wonderful reviews of Book Retriever, but infortuneately it is an Apple only app at this time (well to my knowledge at least) so in my quest for library organization I found Booksource. 
This app allows you to track check in/check outs.  


This will be the first year using this app, I had previously used Library Thing to track the books in my library.  I like that you can easily use the barcode scanner and not have to spend the time painstakingly typing in each ISBN number like I had previously done.  You can also import and export existing lists which is helpful as well.
I also like the reports produced, at our school we use Lexile levels as a primary means of selecting appropriate books.  I also like being able to see which levels I may need to add more books to, or rotate new books in.  


Does anyone have any app resources for the Android folks of the world?  I cannot wait to see the new technology I can hopefully use to improve my classroom this year. 

3 comments:

AthenaPhoenix said...

I looove Class Dojo! I'm curious to know how well the library app works for you. I downloaded Classroom Organizer but haven't used it yet!

I'm a new follower!

✪Crystal✪
Strive to Sparkle

Anonymous said...

Yea, adroid apps. I hope more people add to this list. I just got an android tablet.

Anonymous said...

First off- I just have to say that I love you blog name and it makes me sing in my head (or sometimes out loud) every time I read it.
Second- These are great resources. Thanks for sharing I will definitely be trying them out.
Third- I just nominated you for the Versatile blogger award. Head on over to my blog to pick up your award. Congrats!

http://mylifeaslittlemiss.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment