Friday, April 29, 2011

Cry Out to Jesus

Let me start by saving that we serve a Risen Savior and I know we are not in this alone. 
Secondly, I apologize in advance for the brutalness of this post.  Many pictures of the damage will be shown. 

I am beyond devastated at what happened. 
My hometown and entire county was hit twice.
In between those storms the city I have called home for the past 3 years was completely ripped apart. 
In the plain states you see large, powerful tornadoes, and if you live in the South you are accustomed to having frequent tornadoes.  But the power, size, and number of tornadoes we experienced Wednesday is absolutely unheard of.  The first round of storms in my hometown knocked out power and cell service for many.  Everyone was reporting structural damage and such which is expected.  What isn't expected is a 2nd round with a tornado over a mile wide.  A majority of the folks at home were without power and not aware that the 2nd round was coming.  That's what got everyone in trouble.  It ran right down the center of our county hitting every city along the way.
I have seen reports from so many that I know, that have lost everything I don't even know where to begin to help.  So many are still missing and since there is little cell service it is hard to contact anyone.  The damage is so widespread that volunteers are pouring in from all over the United States to search for survivors and help provide housing assistance. 
And here is where the guilt sets in. I'M NOT THERE TO HELP
Scotty got a job in South Carolina, since we are getting married in December, I was hoping to find a job in S.C. 
My last day of classes was Friday so my parents helped pack me up and move me on up here so I could job hunt.  I have gotten PLENTY of nasty comments regarding us living in sin.  We are not actually living together as of yet. I am staying here 10 days then going home for the rest of the summer, yet I keep getting snide remarks from everyone.  Especially when everyone was calling to check on me and I had to reveal that I am not in Tuscaloosa, nor am I at home.  I am here perfectly safe. 
 This is the school one street over from my apartment building.  An Elementary School, that had been dismissed already.
 This is at my apartments, this would be from my front door looking towards 25th Ave. Words cannot even express how I feel about this. I was there 5 days ago.
This is my next door neighboor standing in the parking lot.  The two cars belong to the people who lived below me. 
Another shot from my parking lot, this girl lived on the other side of me. I am in complete disbelief. This part of town is horrible, It is close to many housing projects. At last count there were still over 100+ people missing in the area.  Many of them were relatives or students I worked with just 5 days ago. My heart is so heavy.  Those kids drove me crazy but what I wouldn't give to be there to hug and comfort them now.

This is the 15th street/ McFarland portion of town, many college students lost their lives, including three friends from back home.








 An Aeriel view from Hardees on 15th looking over Midtown Village shopping Center

 This is the McDonalds on 15th Street.


I cannot image being there, but at the same time my heart breaks because I am not.
Pray, Pray, Pray

0 comments:

Post a Comment